Congratulations on your receiving God’s most precious gift—a new baby! We look forward to sharing in your joy as you begin preparations for your child’s Baptism.
To assist you in planning this sacred occasion, here is information that may be helpful.
Baptism Information and Forms:
Affidavit of Godparents (SJN Church registered members only)
Requests for Duplicate Certificate:
If you are no longer an active St. John Neumann parishioner and need to request a duplicate sacramental certificate, please click here for instructions.
The Sanctifying Mission of the Church
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to the life in the Spirit, and the door that gives access to the other sacraments. Through baptism, we are freed from sin and reborn as sons and daughters of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church, and made sharers in her mission…. (CCC, #1213)
Baptism imprints on the soul an indelible spiritual sign, the character that consecrates the baptized person for Christian worship. Because of this character, baptism cannot be repeated. (CCC, # 1280)
Baptism perfectly linked to Confirmation and Eucharist form the three Sacraments of Initiation into the fullness of the Christian life.
Through baptism, we commit ourselves to grow in new life and spiritual maturity. An infant is baptized into the faith of its parents and godparents. Consequently, there is an authentic hope that the child will be brought up in the Catholic Faith.
Baptismal Preparation at St. John Neumann Catholic Church:
You should first prayerfully reflect on the baptism of your child and your responsibilities by asking yourselves:
- What do we ask of the Church with regard to the baptism of our child?
- How will we prepare ourselves to fulfill our promise to raise our child in the Faith?
As parents of the child to be baptized, you must be registered members of St. John Neumann Catholic Church (SJN) for at least six months prior to the baptism. You are expected to actively practice your faith by regularly attending Mass and receiving the sacraments. Preparation may take several months, please contact the parish office as early as possible.
- To get started, submit our Baptismal Information Form to Silvia at the parish office and be prepared for the preparation to possibly take several months. Please also provide a copy of the birth certificate of the child as soon as it is available.
- Godparents need to submit a sponsor letters from their home parish to verify their eligibility – see below for more details. If they are registered members of SJN, submit the affidavit of Godparents.
- Both Godparents and at least one parent are also asked to attend a baptism class or provide a copy of a certificate of attendance from another parish (valid for three years). Our class is usually held once a month; call the office to pre-register.
- Once we receive the documents listed above, you are ready to register for our baptism class. Once all requirements have been met, the actual Baptism date can be set.
- Baptisms are held in the church two times each month: one at a Mass and one on a Saturday afternoon at 3:00 PM.
- Baptisms scheduled to take place during Mass are limited to three and scheduled on a first come/first served basis.
- Baptisms are not celebrated during Lent.
Being a godparent (also called a sponsor) is an honor and privilege that comes with responsibilities. A godparent serves as a role model for the child, promises to support the family in raising the child in the faith, and acts as a representative of the Church and witness to the faith. Therefore, a godparent should be carefully and prayerfully chosen.
Church requirements for a godparent are:
- Must be at least 16 years old and be mature enough to understand, accept and fulfill the duties of a godparent
- Must have received all the Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Eucharist and Confirmation
- Must be actively practicing the faith and in good standing with the Church (including a church marriage, if applicable)
- Must be living an exemplary life consistent with faith and morals as taught by the Catholic Church
- A non-Catholic baptized Christian may be chosen by the family as a Christian Witness, as long as one other godparent is a Catholic and meets the above criteria.
- An unbaptized person cannot be a godparent or Christian Witness.
- There must be at least one Catholic godparent for baptism; if two are chosen, they cannot be of the same gender.
- A parent cannot be his/her own child’s godparent.
If a chosen godparent is not a registered member of St. John Neumann Catholic Church, he/she must obtain a sponsor certificate/letter from his/her home parish stating that he/she is a member in good standing of that parish and is eligible to act as a godparent. The certificate/letter must be submitted to the SJN parish office.
Godparents registered at SJN need to submit a completed Affidavit of Godparents and pre-register for our baptism class. There is a six-month waiting period for new parish members.
Baptismal Certificates and Donations
Baptismal certificates will be provided after the ceremony. SJN does not charge a fee; however, many families offer the priest a stipend in thanksgiving and to honor the baptism of their child.